One of the Northlake Police Department’s goals is to significantly decrease Burglary to Motor Vehicles. You can help us thwart opportunistic burglars with a few, easy steps. Please keep the following burglary prevention tips in mind to protect yourself and your property.
- Lock your vehicle, close the windows, & don’t leave the key in it. Don’t give burglars an opportunity. You may have heard this before, but the number of vehicles stolen or burglarized with the keys in the ignition and/or the doors unlocked is TOO HIGH. So it bears repeating, please LOCK YOUR DOORS anytime you exit your vehicle.
- Do not hide a spare key in or on your car (magnetic holder, etc.); thieves know where to look.
- Do not leave valuables inside your vehicle. Don’t leave your CD’s, I-Pod, cell phone, GPS/mount, I-Pass, purse/wallet, loose change or laptop in plain view. Use your trunk to store valuables; don’t leave them on the seats or floor of your car, or in the console, where they can be seen by burglars. Remove anything of obvious value or things that would lead a burglar to think something valuable is in the vehicle.
- Park your car in the garage. Otherwise, park in your driveway, rather than on the street, when possible.
- Turn on your outside lights at night, and park in well-lit areas whenever possible. Burglars do not like to be seen.
- Set any alarm or anti-theft device your vehicle is equipped with.
- Report suspicious activity. Call the police if you see adults or kids wandering the neighborhood, loitering around a vehicle, looking into cars, or trying vehicle door handles.
- Keep track of serial numbers. Make sure you have a list of serial numbers, in case something is stolen. Mark valuables with your driver’s license number or some identifying information, so if police recover your items, they can connect them to you.
- Make a police report, if your car is burglarized (even if nothing or just change is taken). This will help us track patterns.
REMEMBER TO DIAL 911 TO REPORT ALL SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITIES