708-343-8700 ext. 4764
708-343-8700 ext. 4763
9:00 A.M. -5:00 P.M. Monday – Friday
9:00 A.M. -4:30 P.M. Monday – Friday
Call 24 hours in advance to schedule onsite inspections
General Hours for Construction:
7:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. Monday –to Saturday
Building permits are required, but not limited to the following constructions. You may view City Ordinances online.
- Adding a bathroom
- Basement remodeling
- Bathroom remodeling
- Sewer cleanouts
- Driveways: concrete, asphalt or brick pavers
- Demolition: structures and interior gutting
- Doors: exterior replacement, adding or changing size
- Decks including porches and accessibility ramps
- Electric: service upgrades, adding circuits or equipment
- Fences: new fences and replacement of old fences
- Flood control systems
- Patio concrete and brick pavers
- Gutter replacement
- Houses- new construction
- Kitchen remodeling
- Lawn irrigation systems
- Patio concrete and brick pavers
- Plumbing replacement or additions
- Roofs: tear offs and re-shingling
- Roofs over entrance doors, patios, decks or porches
- Sewer lines and connections
- Sidewalks concrete or brick pavers
- Swimming pools and swimming pool decks
- Window: replacement, adding or changing size
- Water line and connections
- Contractors, including, but not limited to general, electric, carpentry, roofing, masonry, etc.
- Food delivery trucks.
- Ice cream trucks-frozen products only
- Ice cream pushcarts-frozen products only
- Retail, commercial and industrial businesses located in the City of Northlake.
- Vending machines.
City of Northlake Building Codes
- 2003 International Building Code including Appendices
- 2003 International Property Maintenance Code
- 2003 International Mechanical Code
- 2003 International Fire Code
- 2003 International Residential Code
- 2002 National Electric Code
- State of Illinois Plumbing Code current edition (see General Plumbing Requirements)
- 2009 Edition of the International Energy Conservation Code as mandated by the State of Illinois
All contractors and sub- contractors working in the City of Northlake must be registered with the City. Please complete the Contractors License Application and submit with the $75 fee along with a $10,000 bond and a Certificate of Insurance naming the City of Northlake as the holder. License is good for one (1) year. Always ask to see your contractor’s City of Northlake Contractor’s License.
NEW FEDERAL LEAD LAW: all renovators, and contractors
Beginning April 22, 2010, contractors who are paid to replace windows or renovate residential houses, apartments and child-occupied facilities built before 1978 must be certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. This rule is aimed at preventing lead poisoning among children and adults.
Therefore the City of Northlake Building Dept. will be requiring all contractors to provide a Renovation Certification before obtaining building permits after April 22, 2010. Note: This is a federal rule it applies to every city and village in every state. Always ask to see your contractor’s lead certification.
For more information about the Renovation, Repair and Painting rule, contact the Cook County Department of Public Health at 708-492-2076 or log on to
As of November 2009, the City of Northlake will be requiring a $167.50 deposit for all siding permits. This deposit will cover any damage done to the water meter reading device attached to the house.
Your deposit will be refunded only after the Water Department has inspected the device and has found it to be in working order. If you have any questions, please contact the Building Department at 708-343-8700.
To print this page: Building Department Information